Peek-a-reads

Peek-a-reads
Jeanette, Gloria, Tina, Maggie, & Loretta

Monday, August 5, 2013

Re: Mr John Wall and his former student, author Anna A. Turcotte

Hi All,
I will be returning from Alaska Aug. 19, but will be at book club the next day.
I believe Anna's mother, Irina is no longer employed at the art gallery.  I think it would be great to have her at the reading with Anna.  Irina's phone number is 702-642-8138.
Loretta and I have read the book, but may want to re-visit it.
Tina, I will get back to you on the book I have selected for October.
Jeanette
 
 


Jeanette Plummer
Office Assistant
Gast Construction Co., Inc.
701-642-6317
 
 

Good morning, Fellow Members!

 

Change in plan for August read.  I am going to select Anna A Turcotte based on her upcoming visit to the area.  She reached out to us to get together and of course I replied exuberantly with an of course!  

 

Prior to Anna I was going to select Orphan Train for the August read…so consider that a second choice if you want to throw it in the discussion or pick it for a future read.  ;0)

 

We have one copy of the book on hand and ordered a second today.  Please notify Shelly if you want to be on the waiting list.

 

I included the email from Anna below with more background.

 

Details on the visit itself will be forthcoming.  Here is a date range from Anna as of now:

 

I'm very excited to let you know that I will be in ND Sept 30 - October 6 - my flights are booked!  When  you can, please let me know if you're interested in book signing at NDSCS. 

 

October 2 evening I'm doing a private event at the Bethel Lutheran Church in Wahpeton.

 

October 3 I will be at Mayville all morning and evening at UND Art museum in Grand Forks 

 

October 4 I'm the speaker at the Women and Gender Conference at UND in Grand Forks.

 

Aside from these dates I have nothing else.  I know that UND Law is interested in my presentation on the International Criminal Court but I am not sure when that will take place, still in talks.  Wahpeton High School also wanted to invite me, no times yet.  Please let me know!

 

Side note:  We have received some spam via the Blog – we have removed them, but just wanted to let you know.

 

Tina

 

 

 

 

Ms. Tina Grenier,  M.Ed.

Librarian, Head of Collection Management

NDSCS - North Dakota State College of Science

Mildred Johnson Library 102

800 Sixth Street North

Wahpeton, ND  58076-0001

 

T  701.671.2612

F  701.671.2674

1.800.342.4325

E  tina.grenier@ndscs.edu

 

NDSCS:  http://www.ndscs.edu/   

MJL:  http://www.ndscs.edu/academics/services/library/ 

 

From: Anna Astvatsaturian Turcotte [mailto:anna.turcotte@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 3:23 PM
To: Grenier, Tina
Subject: Mr John Wall and his former student, author Anna A. Turcotte

 

Hello Tina!

 

It was wonderful speaking with you by phone.  I'm happy to outline our conversation for you.  As I mentioned, I recently published my diaries I kept as an Armenian refugee from Baku, Azerbaijan in a book titled "Nowhere, a Story of Exile."  I kept the diaries between the ages of 10 and 14, 1988-1992. I started this book at 14 years old and finished at 16.  During these years I told Mr John Wall at Wahpeton High School about the book and he encouraged me to keep working at it.  

 

When it was finished I showed it to him, Deb Dusek at NDSCS and several professors at UND. They were thrilled.  But I decided the book was just for my future generations; it was that personal.  I packed it away for my future children to have a record of our family path to safety and to United States and everything we have been through.  It describes the sudden surge of violence and the pogroms we've lived through in Baku, the collapse of the Soviet Union and our lives as refugees in Yerevan, Armenia.

 

Twenty years later I was persuaded to publish it by the Armenian community leaders here on east coast.  I published it in 2012 and couldn't be happier.  It's making a huge difference in the lives of many refugees and educating the public about events that didn't make much news here in US.  I'm currently touring the US with the book and holding discussions with various universities and groups in ND for book events.  I have several already scheduled for the first week and weekend of October with these organizers, UND Honors Society and UND Law School, Global Friends Coalition, Mayville State (possibly) and there might be others.  I haven't booked my flights yet but if you're interested in holding a book event at NDSCS, please let me know and I cwould be honored to accomodate it in my schedule. 

 

My parents live in Wahpeton and it would be a shame not to do an event there.  I already reached out to the High School as well.  There are two articles in Fargo Forum and Wahpeton Daily News on my book, if you do a quick internet search.

 

The book is available on amazon and in many bookstores in the US. 

 

 

I would be happy to discuss this with you further.  Call me any time at 207-409-0130. Please let me know if there are any questions.

 

Anna

No comments: